- 6 bell peppers (any colors), tops removed and seeded*
- 1 pound lean ground turkey meat, uncooked
- 1 cup cooked long grain brown rice (i've used brown minute rice, and it's perfect!)
- 2 cups salsa (I've also substituted a can of rotel if I didn't have enough salsa)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals, thawed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
Prepare the peppers by cutting off the tops (they will be placed back on to cook) and carefully remove the seeds and any white pith inside, keeping the peppers intact.
To prepare the filling, mix together the taco seasoning and all of the ingredients, except the peppers and water, until well combined.
Stuff each pepper with this seasoned ground meat and rice. Place the peppers together, standing up in the slow cooker. Place the tops back on each pepper.
Pour 1/3 cup water on the base of the peppers. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Southwestern Stuffed Bell Peppers can be topped with cheese if desired. Add it during the last hour of cooking, so that it will melt. They can also be topped with non-fat sour cream or low fat Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro, and chopped scallions just prior to serving.